March 28, 2009

Lots of fun with a little plastic ring.

Well, while I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my Tatters Across Time program, I decided to do some experimenting.


Inspired by some posts that can be found on Jon's pattern page, these cool earrings were made on small plastic rings with some Flora size 20. Honestly, I was so surprised at how well they turned out! I tried one with a larger ring and a little flower in the middle but I haven't perfected that one yet.



My favorite part about these is the fact that it's useful tatting! I have decided to take the 25 motif challenge again, and this time I am challenging myself to do "useful" pieces. i.e. gifts or items that will be used for something specific, like the hanky bonnet. We'll call that #1 and these earrings #2. I finished out my last challenge with a box full of little motifs that really have no use as of yet, I'll keep them around for scrapbooking and making cards, and maybe someday they will see some use.
In other related news, the aforementioned hanky bonnet is assembled and ready to go, I'll find a doll or something to model it soon.....unless I get lazy and just wait until I can post a picture of the new owner wearing it of course. She should be here in 6-8 weeks! Yay! So, with that being said, if I drop off the face of the earth and fail to post for awhile, you'll know why!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your earrings turned out beautifully! I like the thread color, too!

Valerie said...

very pretty earrings! i'm more interested in tatting functional items lately as i can see them put to use. nice idea.

Tat-a-Renda said...

Your earrings are lovely pieces. I'm glad I was able to inspire you.

I agree with you about making 'useful' tatting. I have a box of motifs that I am still thinking of what to make with it. But, I can't really stop myself when the ideas come to me. And I end up making more motifs as I work on the new designs ideas. It is a viscious circle, LOL.

Shay said...

These are amazing...wonderful work on them.