March 4, 2009

The never ending Doily!

I swear this thing took twice as long as it should have! I kept screwing it up, and spent probably one third of the time going back to fix mistakes. But I think it's beautiful, and the colors couldn't have been cooler! By the luck of the draw the dark red presented on all eight points all on it's own. How does that happen :-)

It still has two major Boo-boos, I made a chain on the outer part too short, and I missed a ring in there too.


Part of the reason it feels like it took so long is because I usually stick to smaller things. I just love Iris Niebach's designs though, this is Beatrice from her book Tatted Doileys. At the same time I have been working on her TIAS, and I continued it on past the last day. I don't know if I'm in a mood to finish it to all eight points yet, but it will probably get there someday.



I did get to start a pattern that I have been itching to get to, the spinning wheel glass mat design from Tatting With Visual Patterns. I ordered some thread specificaly for it from HH, some beautiful varigated blue-green-teal Lizbeth that is working up nicely. I do really like the Lizbeth, it feels a touch finer than the Flora 20, and it's a bit softer too, which makes it perfect for me. It's a good thing I like it because I ordered a whole bunch of the colors! Here is that TIAS in Lizbeth, please ignore the inconsistency in the Long Picots, I couldn't decide how long worked best....


The varigated is called carousel #112, and the purple is #682. For some reason the Lizbeth is way easier for me to work with. I'm crazy inconsistent with the Flora sometimes, there is just enough difference in texture I guess. Anyway, if you haven't yet you should try the thread. The colors are so great, 72 or something different colors available! And it's on sale for $3.75 a ball, and if you are a Handy Hands newsletter subscriber you can get free shipping and a discount coupon! Wowee I can't say enough about that company, I'm a loyal fan of theirs. GO HANDY HANDS!

As far as the 25 motif challenge goes, Iris' TIAS is number 19, and the doiley is #20. I'm almost sad to be this close to finishing though, it's kept me motivated. Maybe I'll have to just start over when I reach 25?

AND.....No news is good new on the blood sugar test they say. I haven't yet received a call, so all may be well. I'll hunt down the test results tomorrow if I don't hear from them. A big thank you to all of you who left encouraging comments about this! It helped get me through. And realizing once again of course that if God is big enough to move mountains, by gosh he can move blood sugar levels too!

3 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your Beatrice doily is beautiful! I just started another one tonight in Lizbeth Spring Green... a wonderful color! I love the new Lizbeth thread, too. I had purchased some of the original batch... a big disappointment. The new thread has a lovely sheen and is nice and smooth.

I didn't try Iris's T.I.A.S. I haven't learned to make a SCMR. That's something that will have to wait until school is out for the summer.

I agree... no news is good news on the blood sugar levels. I'm sure they would have let you know quickly if there was a problem. Keep up that positive spirit!

Elizabeth said...

Pretty doily...that is a lovely pattern - and it is really cool that all the outer motifs as well as the long chains coming out from the center are all in that dark red - it looks planned! Nice job.

Unknown said...

Nice work! Your doily turned out very nice. :)